14 Aug 2019
Generic Name : BISACODYL
Dulcolax drug works as an organic compound to play the role of stimulant laxative drug. It treats the colon directly to ease bowel movements. The drug helps patients with constipation and also clears the intestines before any bowel surgery. The medication works by improving the bowel movements and increasing the productivity of intestines to help the stool move out. The effect of the medication is seen in 6-12 hours.
- Dulcolax has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Adult dosages:
Oral: 5 to 15 mg once daily
Rectal: 10 mg (1 suppository) once daily
Liquid: 10 mg once daily
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Stomach / Abdominal pain
- Irregular heartbeats
- Decreased urination
- Mental / Mood changes (such as confusion)
- Swelling on face / tongue / throat
- Trouble in breathing
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Dulcolax has no major interactions and moderate interactions with 194 different drugs.
- Pharmacist must be consulted before the consumption of this drug as it contains components which may lead to allergic reactions.
- Any medical history related to appendicitis or intestinal blockage should be disclosed to the doctor.
- For adults who are above 60 years, continuous use of the drug might lead to exacerbate bowel dysfunction.
- For children who are less than 3 years of age, the medication should only be given through rectal route.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH DULCOLAX:
- Use of Dulcolax in pregnancy may be acceptable only if the benefits exceed the risks.
- No controlled data or evidences is available for the use of drug in human pregnancy.
- Do not nurse while on drug course, as this drug may transfer through breast milk and may harm a newborn.
- Discontinue use of Dulcolax if lactating and use caution.
- Patients who are having severe abdominal pain without knowing the cause should avoid taking the drug.
- The use of medicine is life threatening if the person has inflammatory bowel disease.
- Stomach or intestines having a hole should not be treated with this drug.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.