14 Aug 2019
Generic Name : DULOXETINE
Duloxetine drug is used to treat mental conditions of the brain like depression and anxiety. The medicine also helps diabetic people who suffer from nerve pain and in conditions like back pain, arthritis. The medication works by maintaining the balance of natural substances in the brain like serotonin and norepinephrine. This is the reason that this drug is also called as Serotonin-Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitor (SNRI). The drug relaxes the body by improving sleep, appetite, energy level and increases the positivity in mood.
- Duloxetine has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Adult and pediatric dosages:
- The maximum dosage for a day should not exceed 120 mg.
Capsules- 20 mg, 30 mg, 40 mg, 60 mg.
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Dry mouth
- Loss of appetite
- Tiredness and drowsiness
- Increased sweating
- Easy bruising / bleeding
- Decreased sexual interest
- Changes in sexual ability
- Muscle cramps / weakness
- Tremor in body
- Difficulty in urination
- Signs of liver problems
- Stomach / abdominal pain
- Persistent nausea and vomiting
- Yellowish eyes / skin
- Dark urine
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Irregular heartbeats
- Loss of coordination
- Severe dizziness
- Severe nausea/vomiting/diarrhea
- Twitching muscles
- Unexplained fever
- Unusual agitation/restlessness.
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Duloxetine has major interactions with 97 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Duloxetine has moderate interactions with 414 different drugs.
- Pharmacist must be consulted before the consumption of this drug as it contains components and inactive ingredients which may lead to allergic reactions.
- Any medical history regarding high blood pressure, kidney disease, family history of suicide attempts should be disclosed.
- Since this drug makes the person dizzy, driving and other activities which requires attention should be avoided.
- Diabetic patients should regularly check their blood sugar during the drug course.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH DULOXETINE:
- Use of Duloxetine in pregnancy may be acceptable only if the benefits exceed risks.
- Do not nurse while on drug course, as this drug may transfer through breast milk and may harm a newborn.
- Monitoring in children is required regarding their weight and height because continuous use might affect growth in children.
- The medication should not be stopped abruptly without consulting the doctor as it may lead to serious conditions.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.