16 Aug 2019
Generic Name : DUTASTERIDE
Dutasteride drug is used in men for treating the problem of an enlarged prostate which is also known as Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH). The medication relieves the patient by reducing the size of prostate. The drug also treat the symptoms of BPH which includes problem in urinating, urgency to urinate, weak urine stream and irregular flow of urine. The drug also saves the patients from undergoing a surgery to treat BPH. However, the medicine is not advised for preventing prostate cancer.
- Dutasteride has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Adult dosages:
Oral Tablet: 0.5 mg once a day
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Decreased sex drive
- Decreased amount of semen during intercourse
- Impotence (trouble getting or keeping an erection)
- Breast tenderness or enlargement.
- Rashes and itching
- Swelling (especially of the face / tongue / throat)
- Severe dizziness
- Trouble in breathing
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Cardiac failure
- Prostate cancer (high grade)
- Male breast cancer
- Depressed mood
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Dutasteride has no major interactions and has moderate interactions with 79 different drugs.
- Pharmacist must be consulted before the consumption of this drug as it contains components and inactive ingredients which may lead to allergic reactions.
- It is advised to the male patients to not donate blood to females for 6 months after the last dose of the drug.
PREGNANCY WITH DUTASTERIDE:
- Pregnant female with male consuming Dutasteride may lead to abnormalities in the fetus developing in womb.
- Protection is recommended to be used during intercourse.
- There is a risk of reduced male fertility while on drug course.
- The drug has the risk of developing a severe form of prostate cancer in males.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.