16 Aug 2019
Generic Name : AMITRIPTYLINE
Elavil drug is used to treat patients having mood conditions, depression and constant anxiety. The use of medications improves the energy level, helps the patients to sleep better and relieves anxiety and tension. The drug belongs to the class of medicines called tricyclic antidepressants, this drug works by maintaining the balance of certain natural substances like neurotransmitters called serotonin in the human brain.
- Elavil has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Adult dosages:
Oral Tablets available in strengths: 10 mg, 25 mg, 50 mg, 75 mg, 100 mg
Initial dose- 75 mg per day
Maintenance dose- 40 to 100 mg per day
Maximum dose- 150 mg per day
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Abdominal or stomach pain
- Black, tarry stools
- Bleeding gums
- Blood in urine or stools
- Changes in patterns and rhythms of speech
- Chest pain or discomfort
- Cold sweats
- Blurred vision
- Burning and itching
- Change in consciousness
- Confusion about identity, place, and time
- Continuing ringing or buzzing noise in ears
- Cough or hoarseness
- Dark urine
- Unpleasant breath odor
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
- Decrease in frequency of urination
- Difficulty in breathing
- Dizziness, faintness or lightheadedness
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Uncontrolled movements in arms, face, neck, back, and legs
- Unexplained weight loss
- Difficulty in speaking
- Disturbed concentration
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
- Abdominal pain
- Blood in vomit
- Weakness in arms, hands, legs or feet
- Yellow eyes and skin
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Elavil has major interactions with 113 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Elavil has moderate interactions with 468 different drugs.
- Pharmacist must be consulted before the consumption of this drug as it contains components and inactive ingredients which may lead to allergic reactions.
- The patient should beforehand discuss any medical history related to high blood pressure, breathing problems, bleeding issues, diabetes, or any family history of depression, suicidal thoughts, mental conditions, seizure.
- Since this drug makes a person dizzy so activities like driving and others which need more attention should be avoided.
- Prevent the use of alcoholic beverages, smoking, and cannabis.
- The risk of QT prolongation is increased with reduced levels of potassium or magnesium.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH ELAVIL:
- Use of Elavil in pregnancy may be acceptable only if the benefits exceed the risks involved.
- Studies in animal pregnancy have shown adverse effects on fetus. But no adequate studies have been found in humans to access the damage involved.
- Do not nurse while on drug course, as this drug may transfer through breast milk and may harm a newborn.
- Use of drug in children below 12 years of age is not recommended.
- Antidepressants increase the risk of suicidal thoughts among patients who consumes the drug for a long duration of time.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.