05 Aug 2019
Generic Name : PENTOSAN POLYSULFATE SODIUM
Elmiron is a genitourinary tract agent that is used to treat the symptoms of cystitis such as bladder discomfort and general pain. This drug works in the same manner as an anticoagulant (a blood thinner) does by preventing and reducing blood clots within the system.
- Elmiron is to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- This drug is to be taken on an empty stomach with a whole glass of water (at least 2 hours before or an hour after food).
- Recommended dosage is 300mg per day, taken in divided (100mg) doses over the day.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Oral – 100mg
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Hair loss
- Mild dizziness
- Depressed mood
- Skin rash
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Bloody urine
- Rectal bleeding
- Coughed up blood
- Bleeding gums
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Elmiron has moderate interactions with 68 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of illnesses such as bleeding disorders, aneurysm, stroke, stomach ulcers or liver diseases.
- Do not consume this drug in case of an allergy to Elmiron itself.
- Cooperate with regular check-ups every 3 months to ensure effective progress of the drug.
- Follow a diet and exercise plan provided to you by the doctor while on drug course.
- Notify a surgeon in advance of the drug intake in case of upcoming surgery.
- Provide the doctor a detailed drug history to avoid medications that can, to any degree, increase the risk of bleeding.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- Contact a doctor immediately in case of severe bleeding or any discharge of blood.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately. Symptoms of overdose may include easy bruising or unusual bleeding.