16 Aug 2019
Generic Name : SACUBITRIL AND VALSARTAN
Entresto is a combination drug that is used to treat chronic heart failure. This drug is generally given along with other blood pressure medications to prevent worsening of symptoms or sudden death due to heart failure. Entresto is composed of sacubitril (a blood pressure lowering medication that enforces the dilation of blood vessels) and valsartan (an angiotensin II receptor blocker that also prevents vessels from narrowing so as to improve blood flow). This drug is also classified as a Neprilysin inhibitor.
- Entresto is to be taken as directed by the doctors. Consume this drug only as prescribed to avoid overdose or other harmful effects.
- This drug can be consumed with/without food.
- This drug is to be taken orally twice a day, doubling in dosage strength after initial dose.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Oral – 49mg/51mg, 97mg/103mg
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Mildly sore throat
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- High levels of potassium
- Difficulty urinating
- Swelling in the feet or the ankle
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Potassium acetate
Entresto has major interactions with 27 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Entresto has moderate interactions with 211 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of illnesses such as liver disease, diabetic conditions, angioedema, dehydration, or are consuming food according to a low-salt diet.
- Do not consume this drug in case of an allergy to sacubitril, valsartan, ACE inhibitors or ARBs.
- Do not consume this drug within 36 hours after using an ACE inhibitor. In case of diabetic conditions or kidney problems, avoid consuming medications that may contain aliskiren while on drug course.
- Do not use this drug while pregnant, to avoid severe and painful side effects such as injury or death to the unborn baby.
- Inform the doctor of all the drugs being consumed so as to avoid severe drug interactions.
- Cooperate with regular blood tests and kidney check-ups to ensure regular health.
- Do not nurse while on drug course as Entresto can transfer through breast milk and cause harm to a newborn.
- Avoid alcohol or potassium supplements while on drug course.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.