07 Aug 2019
Generic Name : CANNABIDIOL
Classified as an anticonvulsant, Epidiolex is a medication drug that is used to treat and control seizures and convulsions in patients as young as 2 years old, who suffers from Dravet syndrome or Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. This drug is controlled under the Controlled Substances Act and is to be used only as needed.
- Epidiolex is to be taken as directed by the doctors. Consume this drug only as prescribed to avoid overdose or other harmful effects.
- This drug is to be taken with/without food at the same time twice a day.
- Unused liquid is to be disposed of 12 weeks after opening of the bottle.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Oral – 2.5mg/kg initial dose (twice a day)
5mg/kg maintenance dose (twice a day)
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Changes in appetite
- Abnormal liver function test results
RARE SIDE EFFECTS –
- Behavioral changes
- Panic attacks
- Symptoms of liver problems
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Sodium oxybate
Epidiolex has major interactions with 8 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Epidiolex has moderate interactions with 497 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of illnesses or conditions such as liver diseases, alcoholism, mood disorders or suicidal tendencies.
- Do not consume this drug in case of an allergy to this drug or to sesame seed oil.
- Inform the doctor of all the drugs being consumed so as to avoid severe drug interactions.
- Avoid using this drug while nursing as it may be harmful for the feeding newborn.
- Avoid alcohol so as to prevent increased drowsiness.
- Keep out of reach of children. This drug is not recommended for anyone under the age of 2.
- This drug may alter certain medical test results. Notify a doctor beforehand of the use of cannabidiol prior to the test.
- This drug can lead to suicidal tendencies or behavior. Ensure that the patient is surrounded by friends and families whenever required, and does reach out for help in case of mental health emergencies.
- This drug may harm the liver. It is important to get check-ups to ensure good health while on drug course.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.