19 Aug 2019
Generic Name : ESCITALOPRAM OXALATE
Escitalopram medication comes under the class of drugs called as Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRI). The drug is used to treat patients having depression and anxiety issues that do not keep the nervous system calm and composed. This medication’s main purpose is to maintain the balance between the natural substances of the brain known as serotonin. As the drug works in the body, it improves the energy levels, boosts well-being mood and also reduces nervousness. It is used to treat depressive disorders in adults and in children who are above 12 years of age.
- Escitalopram has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Available drug strengths- 5 mg; 10 mg; 20 mg; 5 mg/5 mL
- Adult and Pediatric Dosage
Initial dose: 10 mg daily
Maintenance dose: 10 to 20 mg daily
Maximum dose: 20 mg daily
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Delay in ejaculation
- Gas in the stomach
- Inability to have or keep an erection
- Decreased interest in intercourse, sexual ability
- Feeling of discomfort or illness
- Increased sweating
- Joint pain
- Sleepiness or unusual drowsiness
- Trouble in sleeping
- Stuffy nose
- Tightness of the chest
- Tooth problems
- Trouble in breathing
- Runny nose, shivering and sneezing
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of the face, ankles, or hands
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
- Fast or irregular heartbeat
- Increased thirst
- Muscle pain or cramps
- Decreased urine output
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Levomethadyl acetate
Escitalopram has major interactions with 231 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Ethacrynic acid
Escitalopram has moderate interactions with 336 different drugs.
- This drug contains inactive ingredients which may result in allergic reactions. So a pharmacist must be consulted before consuming it.
- It is utmost necessary to discuss any medical history related to seizures, family history of suicides, manic-depressive disorder, liver diseases, bleeding problems, seizures, and personal history of glaucoma.
- Since this drug makes a person dizzy so activities like driving and others which need more attention should be avoided.
- Use of this drug show adverse symptoms on children like unexplained loss of weight and height.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH ESCITALOPRAM:
- Use of Escitalopram in pregnancy may be acceptable only if the benefits exceed the risks involved.
- Studies in animal pregnancy have shown adverse effects on fetus. But no adequate studies have been found in humans to access the damage involved.
- Do not nurse while on drug course, as this drug may transfer through breast milk and may harm a newborn.
- Newborn infants of the pregnant women who take this drug in the last three months of pregnancy should be monitored.
- Cautions are to be taken with patients having diabetes and phenylketonuria (PKU) because liquid dose of the drug contains some levels of sugar or aspartame.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.
- Abrupt discontinuation of consuming this drug should be avoided during pregnancy.