19 Aug 2019
Generic Name : ESTRADIOL ORAL
Estrace medication is used as a female hormone especially by women who want to prevent the symptoms of menopause. Symptoms like dryness in vagina or hot flashes are experienced when the body makes estrogen is less amounts. The drug is also used to prevent bone loss which occurs after menopause. This drug is also available in the form of vaginal cream. Not only this, Estrace is also used in combination with other drugs for treating cancer among men and women.
- Estrace has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Adult dosages:
Injection- 1 to 5 mg intramuscularly every 3 to 4 weeks
Oral Tablet- 1 to 2 mg orally once a day
Topical gel- 1 pump of gel once a day, applied as a thin layer
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Itching or pain of the vagina or genital area
- Thick, white vaginal discharge with mild or no odor
- Weight gain
- Clear or bloody discharge from the nipple
- Decrease in the amount of urine
- Fast heartbeat
- Itching or rashes
- Swelling in the eyelids, face, fingers, lips, hands, feet or lower legs
- Tightness in the chest
- Trouble in breathing at rest
- Trouble in swallowing
- Vaginal bleeding
- Back pain
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Body ache or pain
- Runny nose
- Sore throat
- Ear congestion
- Loss of voice
- Nasal congestion
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Tranexamic acid
Estrace has major interactions with 7 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Thyroid desiccated
Estrace has moderate interactions with 253 different drugs.
- This drug contains inactive ingredients which may result in allergic reactions. So a pharmacist must be consulted before consuming it.
- It is necessary to discuss any medical history related to vaginal bleeding, breast cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure, kidney disease, seizure, clotting problems, hormones disbalance and mood disorders.
- Avoid smoking and use of alcoholic beverages because that increases the risk of heart attacks, blood clotting in women older than 35 years.
- When this drug is used to treat symptoms around the vagina, then any medication used for direct application inside the vagina should be avoided.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH ESTRACE:
- Use of Estrace in pregnancy may be acceptable only if the benefits exceed the risks involved.
- Studies in animal pregnancy have shown adverse effects on fetus. But no adequate studies have been found in humans to access the damage involved.
- Do not nurse while on drug course, as this drug may transfer through breast milk and may harm a newborn.
- Use of drug during lactation tends to reduce the quality and quantity of breast milk.
- The drug causes dark spots and blotchy areas on face and skin. Sunlight worsens its affect because of which tanning booths must be avoided. The drug leads to vision problems and difficulty in wearing contact lenses. In this case, doctor should be consulted immediately.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.