19 Aug 2019
Generic Name : ACETAMINOPHEN, ASPIRIN AND CAFFEINE
Excedrin is a combination drug composed of acetaminophen, aspirin and caffeine. This drug is used to treat pain cause by a variety of illnesses such as tension, headache, migraine, muscle ache / cramps, toothaches, influenza, nasal congestion, arthritis, menstrual cramps and many other pain-inducing conditions. This drug works as a pain reliever by using aspirin to reduce chemicals in the body that are responsible for pain or inflammation. It also works to reduce fevers in patients by using the capabilities of acetaminophen, and caffeine which is a central nervous system stimulant that relaxes muscle contractions in and around blood vessels. Excedrin is simply classified as an ‘analgesic combination’.
- Excedrin is to be taken as directed by the doctors. Consume this drug only as prescribed to avoid overdose or other harmful effects.
- This drug can be taken with food or milk to avoid an upset stomach.
- This drug generally produces results within a week of drug course. Notify a doctor if this is not the case.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Oral – 250-250-65mg, 160-230-33mg
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Upset stomach
RARE SIDE EFFECTS –
- Severe skin reactions
- Bleeding/Bruising that may occur easily
- Stomach bleeding
- High levels of potassium
- Liver problems
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Excedrin has major interactions with 54 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Excedrin has moderate interactions with 276 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of illnesses or conditions such as liver / kidney diseases, asthmatic conditions, stomach ulcers, blood clot disorders or in case of the consumption of drugs to treat glaucoma.
- Do not use this drug in case of an allergy to acetaminophen, aspirin, caffeine or any kind of NSAID.
- Do not use this drug while pregnant, as it is can cause excessive bleeding in the last few months of pregnancy.
- Notify a surgeon of drug intake in case of upcoming surgery.
- Do not nurse while on drug course, as Excedrin may transfer through breast milk and harm the newborn.
- Inform the doctor of all the drugs being consumed so as to avoid severe drug interactions.
- Avoid alcohol, other NSAIDs, coffee or cola while on drug course.
- Keep out of reach of children. This drug must not be given to children or teenagers that suffer from flu, fever or chicken pox.
- This drug can alter certain medical test results, especially those that react with glucose. Notify an examiner beforehand of drug intake in case of a medical test.
- The use of migraine medication for over 10 days per month can often cause worsening of headaches.
- This drug can sometimes cause fatal intestinal bleeding within the patient. The patient is to be supervised at all important times during drug course.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately. Overdose of this drug can cause severe diarrhea, headaches, hallucinations, abnormal palpitations or seizures.