23 Aug 2019
Generic Name : FLECAINIDE
Flecainide is used in patients who suffers from irregular heartbeats. The drug helps to restore the normal rhythm and steadiness in the heartbeat. It also helps in preventing irregular heartbeats to return after any surgery or operation. This medication is called as anti-arrhythmic drug. It works in the body by restricting certain electrical signals from reaching the heart that cause irregularity. It eventually reduces the risk of blood clotting which saves the heart from strokes.
- Flecainide has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Adult dosages:
Tablet: 50 mg, 100 mg, 150 mg
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Difficulty in breathing
- Shakiness in the body
- Chest pain
- Increased sweating
- Fast and irregular heartbeats
- Shortness of breath
- Tightness in the chest
- Partial or slight paralysis
- Redness in the face, neck and upper body
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Black, tarry stools
- Bleeding gums
- Blood in the urine or stools
- Frequent urination
- Feeling of discomfort or illness
- Blurred vision
- Cough and convulsions
- Chest discomfort
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Arsenic trioxide
Flecainide has major interactions with 54 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Flecainide has moderate interactions with 230 different drugs.
- This drug contains inactive ingredients which may result in allergic reactions. So a pharmacist must be consulted before consuming it.
- It is of utmost necessity to discuss any medical history related to congestive heart failure, heart attack, liver disease, and low levels of potassium or magnesium in blood.
- Since this drug makes a person dizzy so activities like driving and others which needs more attention should be avoided.
- Use of this drug directly affects the heart rhythm which may cause symptoms like dizziness or fainting.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH FLECAINIDE:
- Use of Flecainide in pregnancy may be acceptable only if the benefits exceed the risks involved.
- Studies in animal pregnancy have shown adverse effects on fetus. But no adequate studies have been found in humans to access the damage involved.
- Flecainide transfers into breast milk. Preferable precautions must be taken during breast feeding.
- This drug is not recommended for those who suffer from a severe heart problem like bundle branch block or AV block or if the heart faces difficulty in blood pumping.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.