21 Aug 2019
Generic Name : TAMSULOSIN
Flomax is an anti-adrenergic agent that is used to resolve difficulties in urination in men who suffer from benign prostatic hyperplasia. This drug, being an alpha-blocker, relaxes muscles within the prostate (as well as the bladder neck) to ease the process of urinating. This drug can act peripherally.
- Flomax is to be taken as directed by the doctors. Consume this drug only as prescribed to avoid overdose or other harmful effects.
- This drug is to be taken 30 minutes after a meal.
- The oral capsule is to be consumed whole, without breaking or crushing.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Oral – 0.4mg (once a day, initial dose), 0.8mg (maintenance dose)
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Chest pain
- Blurry vision
- Stuffy nose
- Lack of sex drive
RARE SIDE EFFECTS –
- Painful penis erections
- Sever skin reactions
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Flomax has major interactions with 28 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Flomax has moderate interactions with 203 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of illnesses and conditions such as kidney/liver disease, prostate cancer, low blood pressure or allergies to sulfa drugs.
- Do not use this drug in case of an allergy to Flomax itself.
- Inform the doctor of all the drugs being consumed so as to avoid severe drug interactions. Notify especially in case of blood pressure medication.
- Cooperate with regular blood pressure check-ups to ensure regular health.
- Inform an eye surgeon of drug intake in case of eye surgery, as this drug can cause pupils to differentiate in case of a cataract surgery.
- Avoid alcohol, as it may aggravate side effects that pertain to this drug.
- Keep out of reach of children. This drug is not recommended for women or children under the age of 18.
- This drug can cause severe dizziness and even fainting. Avoid complicated activities that may lead to injuries, as this drug impairs thinking and reaction time.
- This drug can severely lower blood pressure. Symptoms of hypotension can include vomiting, swearing or heart disease. Contact a doctor immediately in case of the same.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.