21 Aug 2019
Generic Name : FLUOCINONIDE TOPICAL
Fluocinonide is a topical steroid medication cream that is used to treat symptoms such as inflammations and itching of the skin due to conditions like eczema, psoriasis and other allergic conditions. Being a steroid, Fluocinonide works by preventing the release of chemicals and substances in the body that are considered responsible for inflammations on the body.
- Fluocinonide is to be taken as directed by the doctors. Apply this drug only as prescribed to avoid overdose or other harmful effects.
- This cream is applied once or twice a day in small amounts over the affected area. This cream is not to be applied over a large area of skin. In case of application on the scalp, rub gently.
- This drug generally takes 2 weeks of treatment to produce effective results.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Cream – 0.05%, 0.1%
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Burning / itching of skin
- Sore throat
- Lightened color of skin
- Increase in hair growth
RARE SIDE EFFECTS –
- Blurry vision
- Uneven palpitations
- Weight gain
- Severe skin irritation
- Skin infections
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Fluocinonide has very minor interactions with 44 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of any kinds of skin infection or diabetic conditions.
- Do not use this drug in case of an allergy to Fluocinonide itself.
- Do not consume this cream by mouth.
- Wash hands before and after the use of this cream.
- Avoid covering the treated skin after application.
- On treating the pelvic area of a baby, avoid putting on tight diapers.
- Avoid applying this drug on the skin of the patient’s face, underarms or groin.
- Keep out of reach of children. Ask a doctor before using this drug on a child.
- This drug can increase glucose levels within the bloodstream as a steroid. Consult a doctor regarding dosage of this drug in case of diabetic conditions.
- Long-term usage of this drug can lead to thinning skin, change in location of body fat, increase in acne / facial, menstrual problems or a lack in sex drive.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.