21 Aug 2019
Generic Name : FLUOXETINE
Fluoxetine is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor that is used to treat major depressive disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic disorder, bulimia nervosa and even premenstrual dysphoric disorder. As a drug that works by influencing chemicals within the brain that are in imbalance due to mental conditions, Fluoxetine is often used with medications such as Olanzapine to treat manic pression due to bipolar disorder.
- Fluoxetine is to be taken as directed by the doctors. Consume this drug only as prescribed to avoid overdose or other harmful effects.
- The delayed-release capsule is to be swallowed whole without crushing or chewing.
- This drug may take up to 4 weeks for symptoms to improve.
- Stopping consumption of this drug suddenly can cause very severe withdrawal symptoms.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Liquid – 20mg / 5mL
Oral – 90mg, 10mg, 20mg, 40mg
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Dry mouth
- Upset stomach
- Stuffy nose
- Changes in weight
- Lack of sex drive
RARE SIDE EFFECTS –
- Mood changes
- Blurry visions
- High levels of serotonin
- Low levels of sodium in the body
- Stiffness of muscles
- Severe skin reactions
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Fluoxetine has major interactions with 136 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Castor oil
Fluoxetine has moderate interactions with 437 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of illnesses and conditions such as kidney / liver disease, diabetic conditions, narrow-angle glaucoma, seizures, bipolar disorder, substance abuse or treatment involving ECT.
- Do not use this drug in case of an allergy to Fluoxetine, the usage of pimozide, thioridazine or methylene blue injection. Avoid using this drug in case of the usage of an MAO inhibitor 14 days prior to day of drug consumption, to avoid severe interactions.
- Inform the doctor of all the drugs being consumed so as to avoid severe drug interactions, especially other antidepressants.
- Avoid alcohol while on drug course to avoid aggravation of side effects.
- This drug can cause serious lung complications in an unborn baby. Consult a doctor regarding the risks of consuming this drug during pregnancy.
- It may not be safe to consume this drug while nursing.
- Keep out of reach of children. This drug is not approved for individuals under the age of 18.
- This drug can impair motor skills, and so it is imperative to keep the patient away from dangerous activities.
- In certain cases, this drug can cause suicidal thoughts / behavior in some individuals. Always ensure the availability of a therapist in case the patient may need to reach out for help.
- This drug can cause serious conditions such as serotonin syndrome. Consult a doctor regarding the risks of drug consumption.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.