28 Aug 2019
Generic Name : GABAPENTIN
Gabapentin is taken with other medications to prevent seizures. The drug is commonly called as anticonvulsant or antiepileptic drug. It controls pain in the nerve which is followed by herpes zoster infection among adults.
- Gabapentin has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Adult and pediatric dosages:
Injection solution: 250 mg/5 mL
Tablet: 100 mg, 300 mg, 400 mg, 600 mg, 800 mg.
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Problem in concentrating
- Hyperactivity in body movements
- Rapidly changing moods
- Suspiciousness or distrust
- Blurred vision
- Cold or flu-like symptoms
- Lack or loss of strength
- Lower back or side pain
- Swelling in the hands, feet or lower legs
- Trembling or shaking
RARE SIDE EFFECTS –
- Body pain
- Cough producing mucus
- Decrease in sexual desire or ability
- Problem in breathing
- Eye discharge
- Increased thirst
- Weight gain
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Levomethadyl acetate
- Sodium oxybate
Gabapentin has major interactions with 4 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Gabapentin has moderate interactions with 197 different drugs.
- The drug causes mood swings and behavioral changes among children. These symptoms should be reported to the doctor immediately.
- It is advised to not to stop the drug consumption abruptly even if the person feels fit.
- This drug contains inactive ingredients which may result in allergic reactions. So a pharmacist must be consulted before consuming it.
- It is necessary to discuss any medical history related to seizures, family history of suicides, manic-depressive disorder, liver diseases, heart problems, seizures, and diabetes
- Since this drug makes a person dizzy and blurs the vision so activities like driving and others which needs more attention should be avoided
- Do not take alcoholic beverages while on drug course
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH GABAPENTIN:
- Use of Gabapentin in pregnancy may be acceptable only if the benefits exceed the risks involved
- Studies in animal pregnancy have shown adverse effects on fetus. But no adequate studies has been found in humans to access the damage involved
<liGabapentin can transfer into breast milk. Preferable precautions must be taken during breast feeding.
- Older adults must be more careful as the drug causes high breathing problem and increase the risk of falling.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately