28 Aug 2019
Generic Name : IMMUNE GLOBULIN
GAMMAGARD is used to strengthen the immunity of the body to prevent the risk of infections due to weakened immune system. The medication is made using healthy human blood which has good quantity of antibodies for fighting several infections in the body. Further, this drug is also used to increase the count of blood platelets for controlling bleeding and blood clots formation. Along with this, the medication is also used to treat muscle weakness like multifocal motor neuropathy and nerve disorders like chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy – CIDP.
- Gammagard has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Adult and pediatric dosages:
Injection solution: 300 to 600 mg/kg, IV
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Allergic reactions like itching, rashes, hives
- Urinating issues
- Bad headache
- Irregular heartbeats
- Muscle or joint pain
- Change in speech
- Change in eyesight
- Severe belly pain
- Trouble in breathing
RARE SIDE EFFECTS –
- Runny nose
- Upset stomach
- Back pain
- Sore throat
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Zoledronic acid
Gammagard has major interactions with 72 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Influenza virus vaccine
- Mumps virus vaccine
- Poliovirus vaccine
- Rotavirus vaccine
- Varicella virus vaccine
- Yellow fever vaccine
- Zoster vaccine live
Gammagard has moderate interactions with 17 different drugs
- Drink lot of fluids while taking this drug for better blood flow and to keep the kidneys healthy.
- This drug contains inactive ingredients which may result in allergic reactions. So a pharmacist must be consulted before consuming it
- It is necessary to discuss any medical history related to kidney disease, heart disease, diabetes, personal history of heart strokes or blood clotting, severe infection called sepsis, hyperproteinemia, paraproteinemia and prolonged dehydration
- Since this drug makes a person dizzy so activities like driving and others which need more attention should be avoided
- This medication contains maltose which creates false high blood sugar levels. Diabetic patients should consult doctor before the consumption
- Do not take any immunization or vaccination while using this medication.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH GAMMAGARD:
- Use of Gammagard in pregnancy may be acceptable only if the benefits exceed the risks involved.
- Studies in animal pregnancy have shown adverse effects on fetus. But no adequate studies have been found in humans to access the damage involved
- It is not known if Gammagard transfers into breast milk. Preferable precautions must be taken during breast feeding
- Stop using the drug in case there are signs of blood clots in brain, heart, lungs or legs, consult a doctor immediately.
- Report immediately if there any symptoms related to kidney problems like rapid weight gain, no urination and swelling.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.