09 Sep 2019
Generic Name :TBO-FILGRASTIM
Granix is classified as a colony stimulating factor. This drug is an artificially created protein that is used to reduce the duration of extreme neutropenia. Neutropenia, a disorder where white blood cells are in lacking due to specific kinds of cancer medications -–is reduced in duration because of consumption of Granix, which stimulates the growth of these very white blood cells, that fight against infection.
- Granix is to be taken as directed by the doctors. Consume this drug only as prescribed to avoid overdose or other harmful effects.
- This drug is to be administered subcutaneously. Self administering may be taught to the patient.
- The initial dose of this drug is given a day after chemotherapy dosage, and to be administered regularly till blood cell counts return to a healthy number.
- Disposable syringes are for singular use only.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Injection – 300mcg/0.5m:, 480mcg/0.8mL
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Bone pain
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Capillary leak syndrome
- Stomach pain
- Back pain
- Bloody urine
- Kidney problems
- Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome
- Ruptured spleen
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Granix has moderate interactions with 132 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of illnesses and conditions such as sickle cell anemia, thalassemia, kidney diseases or upcoming radiation treatment/medical tests.
- Do not use this drug in case of an allergy to Granix itself.
- It may not be safe to nurse while on drug course. Consult a doctor regarding the same.
- Inform the doctor of all the drugs being consumed so as to avoid severe drug interactions.
- Avoid injecting into irritated skin.
- Prepare injection only just before administering.
- Do not administer this drug a day before chemotherapy dose.
- Wash skin with soap and water in case of direct contact with medication.
- Acetaminophen/Ibuprofen is recommended for the bone pain that may occur as a side effect because of this drug.
- Keep out of reach of children. This drug is approved for children above the age of 1 month.
- This drug can cause several risks such as spleen rupture or even capillary leak syndrome. Consult a doctor regarding the risks of consuming this drug – contact an emergency helpline as soon as possible in case of severe pain or emergency.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.