09 Sep 2019
Generic Name : GRISEOFULVIN
Griseofulvin is a basic antifungal agent medication that is used to treat fungal infections such as athlete’s foot, jock itch, ringworm, infections of the nails or the scalp. This drug works by inhibiting cell mitosis at the metaphase itself while binding human keratin to make it resistant to invasion of infection-causing fungal agents.
- Griseofulvin is to be taken as directed by the doctors. Consume this drug only as prescribed to avoid overdose or other harmful effects
- The Gris-PEG tablets can be crushed and sprinkled over food for ease of swallowing.
- Nail infections can take months to clear up.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Oral – 1000mg per day – divided into four doses over the day
SIDE EFFECTS –
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Sores inside the mouth
- Liver problems
- Syndromes akin to lupus
- Severe skin reactions
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Aminolevulinic acid
- Ethinyl estradiol
- Levomethadyl acetate
Griseofulvin has major interactions with 10 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Griseofulvin has moderate interactions with 184 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of illnesses and conditions such as liver disease, lupus or allergies to penicillin.
- Do not use this drug in case of an allergy to Griseofulvin itself, or in case of liver failure or porphyria.
- Inform the doctor of all the drugs being consumed so as to avoid severe drug interactions. Notify especially in case of the use of warfarin or similar blood thinners.
- This drug can harm a baby severely in case of pregnancy. Avoid using this drug while pregnant.
- Wear protective clothing and sunscreen while on drug course, to avoid skin reactions and easy sun burning.
- Avoid alcohol while on drug course.
- Keep out of reach of children. This drug is not approved for any child under the age of 2; nor is it for any individual weighing under 35 pounds
- This drug cannot treat viral / bacterial infections.
- As this drug may render birth control pills less effective, it is advised to prevent pregnancies using other methods of contraception.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.