10 Sep 2019
Generic Name : GUANFACINE
Guanfacine is a centrally acting anti-adrenergic agent that is used to treat hypertensive blood pressure (Tenex Brand) in combination with other BP medications, and even Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) (Intuniv Brand). This drug works by lowering nerve impulses in the heart and the blood vessels – relaxing them and improving blood flow.
- Guanfacine is to be taken as directed by the doctors. Consume this drug only as prescribed to avoid overdose or other harmful effects.
- The Intuniv brand of this drug is to be consumed whole with a full glass of water or milk.
- Tenex is taken at bedtime as it causes drowsiness
- Intuniv dosage varies dependent on age and weight.
- General Adult Dosage available:
Oral – 1mg per day (may increase up to 2mg per day)
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Low blood pressure
- Slow palpitations
- Dry mouth
- Stomach pain
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Severe drowsiness
- Severely slow palpitations
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Guanfacine has major interactions with 61 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Guanfacine has moderate interactions with 292 different drugs.
- Provide the doctor with a detailed and accurate medical history prior to drug prescription. Notify especially in case of illnesses and conditions such as kidney/liver disease, heart conditions, severely low/high blood pressure or arrhythmia.
- Do not use this drug in case of an allergy to Guanfacine itself.
- Do not stop consuming this drug all of a sudden, so as to avoid injurious withdrawal symptoms.
- Cooperate with regular blood tests and other medical tests to ensure regular health.
- Inform the doctor of all the drugs being consumed so as to avoid severe drug interactions. Notify especially in case of barbiturates, blood pressure medications, mental health drugs, sedatives or ketoconazole.
- Avoid consuming this drug with high-fat foods.
- Avoid alcohol while on drug course.
- Consult a doctor regarding the risks of consuming this drug during nursing period.
- Keep out of reach of children. While Intuniv is not approved for children under the age of 6, the Tenex brand of this drug is not for anyone under the age of 12.
- Avoid any activity that may lead to potential injury.
- In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately. Symptoms of overdose include slow heart rate, drowsiness or light-headedness.