20 Sep 2019
Generic Name :INSULIN NPH And REGULAR HUMAN
Humulin is used to control blood sugar levels in the body among people with diabetes. It works with a proper diet and continuous exercise by restricting the increase in blood sugar levels, symptoms related to diseases like kidney disease, sexual functioning problems, heart diseases, loss of sight and limbs. The drug is a kind of man-made insulin which works in place of natural insulin. The medication is a combination of 70% isophane and 30% regular insulin. The effect of artificial insulin remains for longer duration than natural one.
- Humulin has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Adult and pediatric dosages:
The dosage of injection is to be adjusted according to the individual needs for metabolism and also blood glucose monitoring results.
The injection should not be administered using an insulin infusion pump.
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Swelling on the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Muscle cramps
- Abnormal heartbeats
- Mood changes
- Slurred speech
- Swelling in the arms or legs
- Unusual weakness
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Weight gain
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Nalidixic acid
Humulin has major interactions with 15 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Humulin has moderate interactions with 299 different drugs.
- Avoid using the medicine in case of low level of blood sugar.
- This drug contains inactive ingredients which may result in allergic reactions to insulin isophane
- It is necessary to discuss any medical history related to seizures, family history of liver diseases, kidney disease, adrenal gland disorders, and thyroid issues.
- Since this drug makes a person dizzy so activities like driving and others which need more attention should be avoided.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH HUMULIN:
- Use of Humulin in pregnancy may be acceptable only if the benefits exceed the risks involved.
- Studies in animal pregnancy have shown adverse effects on fetus. But no adequate studies have been found in humans to access the damage involved.
- Humulin transfers into breast milk. Preferable precautions must be taken during breast feeding.
- While taking the medicine ensure that it looks cloudy after mixing. Report your pharmacist if it has particles.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.