20 Sep 2019
Generic Name :HYDROCODONE-HOMATROPINE
Hycodan is used by patients who have dry cough as a result of common cold or flu. The drug helps to relieve the cough which in turn ensures a sound sleep. The drug is a combination of two medicines called hydrocodone and homatropine. They work in the body by controlling certain brain centers that restricts the need to cough and also protects against allergies. However, it is only used to treat short-term coughs.
- Hycodan has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Adult dosages:
Syrup: 5 ml every 4 to 6 hours
- Pediatric dosages:
Syrup: 2.5 ml every 4 to 6 hours
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Dark urine
- Decrease in urine volume
- Difficulty in breathing
- Irregular breathing
- Lack of appetite
- Loss of consciousness
- Sore throat
- Trembling or shaking
- Unusual weight gain or loss
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Back pain
- Decreased appetite
- Difficulty in moving
- Mood changes
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Hycodan has major interactions with 183 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Hycodan has moderate interactions with 353 different drugs.
- This drug contains inactive ingredients which may result in allergic reactions. So a pharmacist must be consulted before consuming it.
- It is necessary to discuss any medical history related to kidney and liver disease, mood disorders, brain disorders, breathing issues, personal or family history of substance use and glaucoma, underactive thyroid or constipation.
- Since this drug makes a person dizzy so activities like driving and others which need more attention should be avoided.
- Use of this drug show more sensitive symptoms on adults like confusion, drowsiness, or some degree of shallow breathing.
- Avoid consumption of alcoholic beverages.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH HYCODAN:
- Use of Hycodan in pregnancy may be acceptable only if the benefits exceed the risks involved.
- Studies in animal pregnancy have shown adverse effects on fetus. But no adequate studies have been found in humans to access the damage involved.
- Hycodan transfers into breast milk.
- Do not breast feed the child as it may result in unexplained sleepiness or trouble in breathing.
- Use of this medication is not considered safe and effective in children below 18 years of age.
- The drug must not be consumed in case of short-term coughing like asthma or resulted from smoking.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.