20 Sep 2019
Generic Name :HYDROCORTISONE TOPICAL
Hydrocortisone is a type of topical steroid that is used to reduce chemical reactions in the body which results in inflammation. It works by treating skin inflammations which are caused due to many reasons like allergic reactions, psoriasis and eczema. However, this drug is not used for treating skin infections. Further, it works by preventing the swelling on skin caused in condition like rashes, itching or dermatitis.
- Hydrocortisone has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- The medicine comes in the following forms- cream, ointment, solution, gel or lotion.
- Adult and pediatric dosages:
Apply two to four times a day for treating the affected area
SIDE EFFECTS –
- Blisters on the skin
- Itching and swelling on the skin
- Redness around the mouth
- Weak skin
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Acne or pimples
- Pinhead-sized red blisters on skin
- Pain in hairy areas or pus at the root of the hair
- Increased hair growth on the forehead, back, arms, and legs
- Lightening of normal skin color
DRUG INTERACTIONS –
Hydrocortisone has minor interactions with 44 different drugs.
- This drug contains inactive ingredients which may result in allergic reactions. So inform doctor in case of any allergic reaction after using prednisone or triamcinolone.
- Avoid using this medication to treat areas if there is an infection or allergy already present in that area.
- Consult the doctor if the redness and irritation continues even after the use.
- Take extra care in case of children as they are more sensitive to this medicine.
- It is necessary to discuss any medical history related to liver disease, diabetes or disorders in adrenal gland.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH HYDROCORTISONE:
- Use of Hydrocortisone in pregnancy may be acceptable only if the benefits exceed the risks involved.
- Studies in animal pregnancy have shown adverse effects on fetus. But no adequate studies have been found in humans to access the damage involved.
- It is not known if Hydrocortisone transfers into breast milk. Preferable precautions must be taken during breast feeding.
- Use of this drug is not recommended in females who face itching on the outer of genitals along with vaginal discharge.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.