19 Oct 2019
Generic Name : HYDROXYUREA
This drug is used for the treatment of sickle cell anemia. This in turn helps to reduce the pain sensations which can be caused by diseases. Taking this drug also helps in decreasing the requirement of blood transfusions. Some of the brands of this medication are also used for treating some kinds of cancer related to head and neck.This drug is used for the treatment of sickle cell anemia. This in turn helps to reduce the pain sensations which can be caused by diseases. Taking this drug also helps in decreasing the requirement of blood transfusions. Some of the brands of this medication are also used for treating some kinds of cancer related to head and neck.
- Hydroxyurea has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Adult and pediatric dosages:
Oral Tablet: 100 mg; 200 mg; 300 mg; 400 mg; 500 mg; 1000 mg
- Back pain
- Painful urination
- Blackening of the fingernails and toenails
- Blood in the urine or stools
- Red spots on the skin
- Sores in the mouth
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Joint pain
- Swelling on the legs
- Influenza virus vaccine, live, trivalent
- Measles virus vaccine
- Mumps virus vaccine
- Rubella virus vaccine
- Varicella virus vaccine
- Yellow fever vaccine
- Zoster vaccine live
Hydroxyurea has major interactions with 32 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS –
- Cytarabine liposomal
Hydroxyurea has moderate interactions with 120 different drugs.
- This drug contains inactive ingredients which may result in allergic reactions. So a pharmacist must be consulted before consuming it.
- It is necessary to discuss any medical history related to liver and kidney disorders, bone marrow disorders, radiation treatment or HIV infection.
- Avoid coming in contact with people having infections like measles, flu or chickenpox.
- It is not recommended to take immunization and vaccination while consuming this drug.
- Consumption of the drug makes the skin sensitive to the sun. Sunlamps and tanning beds should be avoided.
- Use of this drug show more sensitive symptoms on adults
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH HYDROXYUREA:
- Use of Hydroxyurea in pregnancy may be acceptable only if the benefits exceed the risks involved.
- Studies in animal pregnancy have shown adverse effects on fetus. But no adequate studies have been found in humans to access the damage involved.
- Hydroxyurea transfers into breast milk and have adverse effects on infants. Preferable precautions must be taken during breast feeding.
- This medication might also affect the fertility of the sperm. Risks and benefits of the drug should be discussed beforehand.
- Use of the drug adversely affects the strength of bone marrow to make blood cells. Consequently, it gives rise to severe bleeding problems.
- The medication is responsible for increasing the risk of getting cancer. Regular check-ups are recommended.
- Use of this medication is not considered safe and effective in children below 12 years of age.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.