21 Oct 2019
Generic Name :HYOSCYAMINE
The medication is used for treating certain stomach problems like irritable bowel movements, cramps, bladder control problems, pain caused due to kidney stones and gallstones. Further, the medicine also reduces the side effects of some medicines used for treating myasthenia gravis and insecticides. The drug works in the body by reducing acid production in stomach and also helps the muscles to relax. Also, it controls the production of fluids in the body like sweat and saliva.
- Hyoscyamine has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Adult and pediatric dosages:
Injection solution: 0.5 mg/ml; 0.125 mg/5 ml; 0.125 mg/ml
Oral Tablet: 0.125 mg; 0.15 mg; 0.375 mg
- Dry mouth
- Blurred vision
- Loss of taste
- Abdominal pain
- Potassium chloride
- Potassium citrate
Hyoscyamine has major interactions with 4 different drugs.
MODERATE DRUG INTERACTIONS–
Hyoscyamine has moderate interactions with 168 different drugs.
- This drug contains inactive ingredients which may result in allergic reactions. So a pharmacist must be consulted before consuming it.
- It is necessary to discuss any medical history related to kidney disease, high blood pressure, problems related to nervous system, family history of glaucoma, overactive thyroid, heartburn, or myasthenia gravis.
- The drug results in dry eyes so contact lens users must use eye drops along with the medication.
- Since this drug makes a person dizzy so activities like driving and others which need more attention should be avoided.
- The medication has the risk of increasing heatstroke as it reduces sweating in the body.
- Use of this drug show more sensitive symptoms on adults like confusion, drowsiness, constipation, unexplained excitement.
- Avoid consumption of alcoholic beverages.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH HYOSCYAMINE:
- Use of Hyoscyamine in pregnancy may be acceptable only if the benefits exceed the risks involved.
- Studies in animal pregnancy have shown adverse effects on fetus. But no adequate studies have been found in humans to access the damage involved.
- Hyoscyamine transfers into breast milk. Preferable precautions must be taken during breast feeding.
- It is not recommended to use the drug in medical conditions like urinary problems, enlarged prostate, heart problems, stomach disorders, and slow gut.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.