24 Oct 2019
Generic Name :IMATINIB
This medication is used in the treatment of certain types of cancers like blood cancer, disorders related to bone marrow and skin cancer. Further, the medicine is also used for treating tumors developed in stomach and digestive system. The drug works in the body by restricting the growth of cancer cells in the body.
- Imatinib has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Adult and pediatric dosages:
Oral Tablet: 400 mg to 600 mg once daily
- Bowel movement disorders
- Gastronomic pain
- Lack of strength
- Loose stools
- Muscle stiffness
- Night sweats
- Stomach pain
- Swollen joints
- Trouble concentrating
- Weight loss
RARE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Back pain
- Unpleasant taste
- Watery eyes
Imatinib has major interactions with 69 different drugs.
MODERATE INTERACTIONS OF IMATINIB ARE:
Imatinib has moderate interactions with 451 different drugs.
- This drug contains inactive ingredients which may result in allergic reactions. So a pharmacist must be consulted before consuming it.
- It is necessary to discuss any medical history related to kidney and liver disease, diabetes, chemotherapy, absence of thyroid gland, heart attacks and strokes and bleeding problems.
- Avoid any type of immunization and vaccinations while using the drug.
- Be more cautious of the hygiene factors like washing hands frequently as the medication has the risk of worsening the current infections.
- Since this drug makes a person dizzy so activities like driving and others which need more attention should be avoided.
- Use of this drug show more sensitive symptoms on adults like edema.
- Avoid consumption of alcoholic beverages like marijuana.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH IMATINIB:
- Use of Imatinib in pregnancy is not recommended without the consultation of the doctor.
- Studies in animal pregnancy have shown adverse effects on fetus. But no adequate studies have been found in humans to access the damage involved.
- Imatinib transfers into breast milk. Avoid breast-feeding until one month after the last dose of this drug.
- Both men and women should use birth control measures while consuming this medication to avoid pregnancy.
- Restrict coming in close contact with people who have infections like flu, chickenpox and measles.
- Use of this medication is not considered safe and effective in children as it results in abnormal growth in height and weight.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.