04 Nov 2019
Generic Name :IMODIUM
Imodium drug is used in treating sudden diarrhea. It works in the body by lowering the movement of the gut. As a result, bowel movements are decreased with less watery stools. In addition to this, the medication also helps in cases of ileostomy for decreasing the amount of discharge among patients. The drugs also helps in the cases of inflammatory bowel disease.
- Imodium has to be taken as directed by the doctors.
- Adult dosages:
Injection solution: 1 mg/5 ml; 1 mg/7.5 ml
Oral Tablet: 2 mg to 4mg once daily
- Loss of appetite
- Stomach pain
- Skin rash
- Dryness in mouth
- Dry mouth
- Abdominal pain and cramps
Imodium has major interactions with 41 different drugs.
MODERATE INTERACTIONS OF IMODIUM ARE:
Imodium has moderate interactions with 256 different drugs.
- This drug contains inactive ingredients which may result in allergic reactions. So a pharmacist must be consulted before consuming it.
- This drug should not be taken in conditions where use of aspartame is restricted.
- It is necessary to discuss any medical history related liver problems, severe intestinal infections, HIV, high fever, starry stools, and bowel movement disorders.
- Consuming the medication might result in the risk of irregularly fast heartbeat.
- The drug has the risk of decreasing the level of magnesium and potassium in the body which may cause sweating, vomiting, and diarrhea.
- Since this drug makes a person dizzy so activities like driving and others which need more attention should be avoided.
- Use of this drug show more sensitive symptoms on adults like QT prolongation.
- Avoid consumption of alcoholic beverages.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION WITH IMODIUM:
- Use of Imodium in pregnancy may be acceptable only if the benefits exceed the risks involved.
- Studies in animal pregnancy have shown adverse effects on fetus. But no adequate studies have been found in humans to access the damage involved.
- Imodium transfers into breast milk. Preferable precautions must be taken during breast feeding.
- Use of this medication is not considered safe and effective in children below 6 years of age.
- Use of this drug is not recommended in certain medical conditions like abdominal pain without diarrhea and bowel obstruction.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.