26 May 2019
Muscle cramps is a very common problem that affects the muscles of legs, thighs and calves. It is a sudden and painful contraction of muscles which remains for shorter period of time and results in non-usage of the affected muscle on a temporary basis. Though muscle cramps are very painful, they are harmless for the body. Muscle cramps do not have any severe effect on the body and can be treated by several OTC Medications and homemade remedies. The problem of muscle cramp is curable by taking some self-care measures.
- Insufficient supply of blood
- Alcohol abuse
- Pre-existing conditions like Type-2 diabetes, Cirrhosis and Thyroid
- Compression Neuropathy i.e. pressure on nerves
- Lack of calcium and magnesium in the body
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS –
- Sudden and sharp pain
- Lumps or bulges can also be observed
- OTC medications
- Prescribed medications like anti-inflammatory drugs or creams and ointments
- Self-care measures
RISK FACTORS –
- Medical conditions like diabetes, thyroid, liver or nerve syndromes
- Gentle massage
- Plenty of fluid intake to keep the body hydrated
- Proper and healthy balanced diet
- Stretching and exercising
- Report shows that muscle cramps are one the most common problem with the occurrence rate of 33 to 95% in adults.
- Females (32 to 56%) are more prone to suffer from cramps than males (26 to 40%)
- Cramps are highest at night with a rate of 75% occurrence.