27 Jul 2019
Night Sweats, also known as sleep hyperhidrosis, is an extreme perspiration in night which results in soaking of nightclothes or bed sheets due to excess sweat that requires to be changed frequently. It happens because of certain underlying medical conditions or illness.
- Side effects of certain medications such as depression, diabetes, hormone therapy
- Anxiety disorders
- Autoimmune condition
- Drug addiction
- Congestive heart failure
- Thyroid disease
- Sleeping disorders
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS –
- Excessive sweating
- Disturbance in sleep
It can be diagnosed on the basis of symptoms and the underlying cause.
Treatment is given to cure other underlying diseases. But following tips can ease the problem:
- Use of cotton clothes and bed sheets
- Use antiperspirants
- Relaxation-breathing techniques and exercises everyday
- Drink plenty of water
- Diet with low fat and sugar
- Don’t consume alcohol and caffeine
- Avoid spicy and heavy foods
- It is not a gender-specific condition, the prevalence of night sweats is common in males and females both.
- It is highest in the individuals between the age group of 41 to 55 years.
- Research shows that it mostly occurs due to hot flashes and panic attacks in females and sleeping disorders in males.