29 May 2019
Osteopenia is a cause for the decreased bone density that leads to the weak and brittle bone. It is not painful unless fractured. It is a very common problem which can increase the risk with the increasing age. It can be cured without treatment at earlier stages and is avoidable with certain preventive measures.
- Medical issues like thyroid
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS –
- Back pain
- Frequent bone injury
- Physical examination
- Blood Test
- Bone Density Scanning through DXA / DEXA Scan
- Prescribed bone building medications
- Strength training programs for bone strength
RISK FACTORS –
- Excessive smoking and alcohol abuse
- Hormonal imbalance
- Certain medications like corticosteroids and antiseizure medications
- Healthy and balanced protein and calcium rich diet
- Vitamin D Supplements, dairy products
- Regular exercise
- Quit smoking and alcohol consumption
- Change in lifestyle habits
- The study shows that the overall prevalence rate for Osteopenia is 43.5% worldwide.
- It has been proven that the increasing age increases the chances of getting Osteopenia.