04 May 2019
Ovarian cancer also known as Metastatic Ovarian Cancer happens when the abnormal malignant cells grows, multiplies in the ovary and forms a tumor. This tumor can spread to the other parts of the body if it is left undetected and untreated.Types :
- Epithelial Tumors
- Stromal Tumors
- Germ Cell Tumors
CAUSES –Mutations in DNA, however the exact cause is still unknown.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS –
- Inflammation or swelling in the abdomen
- Improper eating habits
- Weight loss
- Uneasiness in the pelvis area
- Frequent urination
- Pelvic Examination
- Imaging tests such as Ultrasound or CT Scans
- Blood Test
- Surgery to remove the ovary and tested to detect the signs of cancer
- Surgery for the removal for ovaries, fallopian tubes, omentum and uterus
- Cytoreductive or debulking surgery
- Targeted therapy
- Hormone Therapy to prevent estrogen to spread the cancer cells.
- Radiation Therapy
RISK FACTORS –
- Hereditary factors
- Genetic mutations in genes
- Intake of certain fertility drugs or hormone therapies
- Estimation shows that it is the fifth most common cause of cancer deaths among females.
- There is 94% possibility of survival for at least 5 years if ovarian cancer is detected in early stages.