15 Jul 2019
Sciatica also known as Sciatic Neuritis, a radiation pain caused by pressure on sciatic nerve. The sciatic nerve is the longest and widest nerve in the human body. The pain goes from lower back to hips and buttocks, downwards towards each leg. It generally affects one side of body and happens when the herniated disk compresses the specific part of nerve which causes inflammation and pain.
- Herniated (slipped) disk
- Lumbar Spinal Stenosis – Contraction of spinal cord in lower back
- Spondylolisthesis – Disk slipping over the vertebra
- Tumors within the spine
- Infection and injury inside spine
- Cauda Equina Syndromes which affects the nerves of spinal cord
- Pre-existing diseases like diabetes
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS –
- Mild to sharp pain giving burning or unbearable pain sensation
- Pain in lower lumbar
- Muscle weakness
- Prolonged sitting leads to the pain in back
- Physical examination
- Imaging tests such as X-rays, MRI, CT Scans and EMG (Electromyography)
- Medications such as anti-inflammatory, muscle relaxants, pain killers etc
- Physical therapy
- Steroids injections
RISK FACTORS –
- Obesity and Diabetes
- Sitting for long hours
- Physically inactive
- Regular exercise
- Maintain good posture and position of lower back, armrest and swivel base.
- Avoid lifting and twisting
- Avoid continuous sitting
- Approximately 50-90% of population gets affected with Sciatica at least once in their lifetime.
- Females are more prone to this condition than males majorly in the age group of 20-65 years.
- As per the observation, it has been estimated that 90% of the Sciatica cases are a result of herniated disk compression.