29 Jul 2019
Tourette syndrome is a condition with the nervous system that cause recurring or sudden movements, actions or unnecessary noise called tics. This sound is uncontrollable by the individual same as blinking eyes, shrugging of shoulders, clearing of throat repeatedly or exclaims unusual sounds.
- Genetic factors
- Environmental factors
- Chemical imbalance in the brain
However, the exact cause of this condition is still unknown.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS –
- Rapid eye blinking
- Head wrenching
- Shoulder shrugging
- Nose jerking, winding or twisting
- Mouth movements and activities
- Continuous throat clearing
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Learning incapacity
- Sleep Conditions
- Anxiety Disorders
- Severe Headache
- Anger related problems
- Physical Examination
- Imaging test of the brain like MRI, CT Scans
However, there are no specific tests to diagnose this condition.
- Medications such as Botox injections, ADHD, Central adrenergic inhibitors, Antidepressants, Antiseizure medicines etc
- Behavioral Therapy
- Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS)
- The prevalence of Tourette syndrome is around 1% worldwide and majorly affects the younger population with age group of 6-17 years.
- Boys are more affected than girls with a ratio of 3:1 to 4:1.